Monday, December 31, 2012

Year End Extravaganza: Noteworthy Albums of 2012

So this is probably the entry everybody's been waiting to glance over and pick fights about. It's the albums that made a huge impression on me this year in one way or another. Due to the large number of albums included, I'm just leaving links and images for your viewing/digesting pleasure. If you want to know my particular thoughts about one of these albums in great detail, you can get in touch via facebook, email, or twitter. I'm always happy to discuss my taste in music.


A Forest of Stars- "A Shadowplay for Yesterdays" (Lupus Lounge)


A Pregnant Light- "Hear the Slow Slow Shadow" (Colloquial Sound Recordings)


Ash Borer- "Cold of Ages" (Profound Lore)


Crowhurst- "No Life to Live" (Self-Released) Read the BMAB review


Death Fortress- "Pulling Ancient Stone" (Fallen Empire Records) Read the BMAB review


Dressed in Streams- "Azad Hind" (Colloquial Sound Recordings)


Hell- "III" (Eternal Warfare)


Horseback- "Half Blood" (Relapse Records)


Kuxan Suum- "Kuxan Suum" (Fallen Empire Records) Read the BMAB review


Neurosis- "Honor Found in Decay" (Neurot Recordings)


Pig Destroyer- "Book Burner" (Relapse Records)


Rectal Hygienics- "Even the Flies Won't Touch You" (Depravity Label) Read the BMAB review


Sutekh Hexen- "Behind the Throne" (Wohrt Records)


Trist- "Nostalgie" (Fallen Empire Records)


Unknown Artist- "RH-12" (Rhinocervs)


Vemod- "Venter pa Stormene" (Terratur Possessions)


Venowl- "Gnawed Gristle and Bone" (Ominous Silence) Read the BMAB review


Wulkanaz- "HNI" (Wohrt Records) Read the BMAB review

Also, here are a few of the albums I enjoyed but only listened to once or twice, but expect are of equal quality to those on this list:


Converge- "All We Love We Leave Behind" (Epitaph)


Fauna- "Avifauna" (Pesanta Urfolk)


Gaza- "No Absolutes in Human Suffering" (Black Market Activities)


The Great Old Ones- "Al Azif" (Les Acteurs De L'Ombre Productions/Antithetic)


Krallice- "Years Past Matter" (Self-Released)


Make A Change...Kill Yourself- "Fri" (Black Hate Productions)


Mgla- "With Hearts Toward None" (Northern Heritage)

With that, my magnificent list is finished and so is this year. Since Black Metal and Brews was just a fledgling website in 2012, expect grand things in the year to come. I'm grateful to all my readers, the labels, breweries and artists who have contributed their music and beverages to this blog, and to my close friends and my partner for listening to me ramble about this blog endlessly. You guys have given me a reason and an opportunity to continue writing, and I am grateful for every new person I meet because of this blog. Thanks for being around this year, and I'll see you tomorrow for the start of the next year.

2 comments:

  1. This is a solid list. Nice mix of obscure and not so obscure. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robert! Despite the dark and extreme nature of this blog, it would be unrealistic to pretend that I don't enjoy currently popular releases. My goal is to share things people will enjoy, regardless of obscurity. I'm glad you understand and appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete